I believe it is in our mutual interest to be clear about fees and policies. Professional service and advice are probably the only real “investments” you can ever make in your boat as it allows you to safely enjoy your boat, and to do so more often than you otherwise would without the confidence and competence that training provides. My goal is to provide you with the best consulting and training services. Learning from your own experience or from that of an amateur can be costly, difficult, hazardous and take a long time. Why not learn in a more effective, safe and economical manner by learning from my experience?
- Please fill out the quick and easy form on the Contact Page and PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR PHONE NUMBER for a free consultation.
PERSONALIZED and PRIVATE COACHING SERVICES-I offer highly customized training in intermediate and advanced sailing, seamanship, docking, boat handling and cruising. Basic or introductory lessons are available under special circumstances. These are provided on my boat or yours. For reservations of three days or longer, a discount may be offered if fully reserved and paid for advance and without any refunds if cancelled. A re-booking fee may apply if dates are changed.
On Your Boat: Sat.-Sun. and Holidays
$850 for 7 hours
Normally starting between 8-9 am (Half-days only available under certain situations. Please inquire.) I charge $.75 per mile for transportation plus tolls (except for travel in the Annapolis area) plus parking. A deposit and all expected travel costs are ALWAYS due in advance. A longer day is subject to additional fees.
On Your Boat: Monday through Friday
$750 for 7 hours. Normally starting between 8-9 am (Half-days only available under certain situations. Please inquire.) I charge $.75 per mile for transportation plus tolls (except for travel in the Annapolis area) plus parking. A deposit and all expected travel costs are ALWAYS due in advance. A longer day is subject to additional fees.
$400 for half-days, 3.5 hours
On my 38′ Sailboat: Intermediate and Advanced TRAINING and COACHING : for groups of one to four clients.
Sat.-Sun. and holidays TRAINING $1095 for 7 hours (plus 10% tax)
Monday through Friday TRAINING $895 for 7 hours, $495 for 4 hours (plus 10% tax)
For information about parties, tours and relaxing trips for groups of one to six on my sailboat, please visit Chesapeake Sailing With Captain Paul
I CONSULT with you about selecting, purchasing, equipping and managing your boat, etc.. $100 per hour. Two hour minimum. A retainer for more complex concerns will result in a decreased fee.
BOAT DELIVERY–Owner-assist or Fully Crewed: I will provide you with a detailed proposal after a phone conversation so please provide your phone number in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. I DO NOT PROVIDE BLIND QUOTES. I am not concerned about being underbid or “competing” with so-called “professionals” who work for starvation wages, willingly operate poorly prepared vessels or advertise that they are “low cost” (as in racing to the bottom…). If security, quality of service, professionalism and peace of mind are important to you, then please do contact me.
- Ask if the the other delivery service providers are also:
- Subjected to random drug testing (Since 2007)
- Hold a Transportation Worker Identity Card
- Hold a US Coast Guard license (100 ton passenger vessel operator since 1980)
- Former US Coast Guard Auxiliarist (Ten year service award)
- Certified to instruct by the American Sailing Association Instructor (since 1983, among the first on the east coast)
- Have the other delivery service providers:
- Owned or restored power and sailboats?
- Completed the rigorous five day STCW Basic (Standards, Training, Certification for Watchkeeping: Maritime Professional Training, Fort Lauderdale, 2014)
- Completed an advanced degree? (Masters degree, University of MD, 1990, Journalism-Mass Communication)
MY GOAL IS EFFICIENCY WITHOUT COMPROMISING SAFETY OR PRUDENCE. Some may charge less, but it may cost you more.
- Owner-assist deliveries are conducted on a limited basis. If you wish to accompany me and partake of training or coaching, please inform me as such.
- I will provide you with a flat fee quote for crew services based on the above criteria and a range of total days, UNLESS there are days lost due to weather and mechanical breakdown beyond that range. Such days as well as travel expenses, marinas, provisions, boat expenses, fuel, etc. are additional.
- A 50% deposit for services plus a %100 deposit for anticipated travel expenses including a “float” for unanticipated costs is required in advance. Remaining payment is due upon boarding the boat at its point of origin.
- I offer a full service package AT NO ADDITIONAL COST (and please keep this in mind when soliciting proposals); Advance planning and consultation with the owner to ensure the boat is ready; A review of the survey and a safety pre-inspection of vessel including a report to owner; A log of preparation, underway and destination activities; a post-trip report on safety, items requiring attention etc.; Regular communication via email, text or phone (when available); Creation and distribution of a float plan with emergency instructions;
- The boat must be in seaworthy condition and properly outfitted for the route, season and expected conditions. That should include basic tools, fluids, additives, charts, spare parts, safety gear, cooking and cleaning supplies etc. I reserve the right to decline or terminate the voyage if the boat is not properly equipped or maintained or presents safety hazards without any recompense. Additional preparation if boat is not ready or incurs maintenance/repair issues will be subject to additional fees.
- BEWARE OF RETIREES, HOBBYISTS OR JOY-RIDERS and HIRE A PROFESSIONAL Boat owners are advised to be wary of low bidders. As a professional I will show up when requested and complete all commitments whereas an amateur may be more interested in free travel or recreation or gaining experience at your expense. A professional boat delivery is not a pleasure cruise. Our job is to efficiently, quickly and safely move your boat from A to B. I requires 24-7 attention.
- A DEPOSIT IS NECESSARY to schedule you on my calendar and means we are both committed. A deposit is generally not refundable except in unusual cases, and then perhaps only partially. Please understand that my season is limited and highly cyclical and that warm weather weekends are prime time. In unusual circumstances I will make every effort possible to work with the owner, reschedule or find another suitable method but it is often difficult to reschedule. Rescheduling will almost always be subjected to additional re-bookingfees.
- PAYMENT may be made in check with enough advance notice, by cash, money order or through PayPal to account “Non Sea Quitter LLC” using email email@example.com. Please be sure to include an additional fee of three percent of the net when using Paypal unless you have zero fee privileges. It is always desirable to plan and reserve well in advance and this will save you money by mailing a check. Please email me for mailing instructions.
Thank you for taking the time to read this explanation of my fees and policies. I believe it is in our mutual interest to be clear about these matters. You may find it helpful to read my articles on “How to hire a delivery captain” or “What’s it worth to you to have your boat delivered?” or What Does it Cost? on the Sea Stories page.