Professional service and advice are probably the only real “investments” you can ever make in your boat. My goal is to provide you with the best services such as consulting, deliveries and training. Learning from your own experience can be costly, difficult, hazardous and take a long time. Why not learn in a more effective, safe and economical manner by learning from my experience?
- Please fill out the quick and easy form on the Contact Page and PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR PHONE NUMBER for a free consultation.
PERSONALIZED and PRIVATE COACHING SERVICES-I offer highly customized intermediate and advanced sailing, seamanship, docking, boat handling and cruising classes. Services for novice sailors or boaters only available under special circumstances.
Feb. 2019 NOTE: Reserve now to keep your costs lower. The rates below will be increasing on May 1, 2019 for new clients or if you have not made a deposit by March 15. Discounts are offered when a minimum of 3 days are booked with advance deposit.
On Your Boat: Sat.-Sun. and Holidays
$750 for 7 hours (increasing to $850 on 5-01-2019) Normally 0900 to 1600 hours. (Half-days only available under certain situations. Please inquire.) I charge $.75 per mile plus tolls and parking except for travel between Annapolis to Deale, MD. A deposit and travel costs are ALWAYS due in advance.
On Your Boat: Monday through Friday
$650 for 7 hours. Normally 0900 to 1600 hours (Increasing to $750 on 5-01-2019)
$375 for half-days, 3.5 hours
On my 38′ Sailboat TRAINING and COACHING : for groups of one to four clients, minimum of one day.
Sat.-Sun. and holidays TRAINING $995 for 7 hours (plus 10% tax)
Monday through Friday TRAINING $795 for 7 hours, $495 for 4 hours (plus 10% tax)
For information about parties, tours and relaxing trips for groups of one to six, please inquire and visit Chesapeake Sailing With Captain Paul
I CONSULT with you about selecting, purchasing, equipping and managing your boat etc..
$100 per hour. Two hour minimum.
YACHT and BOAT DELIVERY SERVICES–Owner-assist or Fully Crewed: I will provide you with a detailed proposal after a phone conversation so please provide your phone number in an email to email@example.com. I DO NOT PROVIDE BLIND QUOTES. Please be advised that I am not concerned about being underbid or “competing” with so-called “professionals” who work for starvation wages, operate poorly prepared vessels or advertise that they are “low cost” (as in racing to the bottom…). If security, quality of service, professionalism and peace of mind is important to you, then please do contact me. Thank you for your understanding.
- Ask if the the other delivery service providers are also:
- Subjected to random drug testing (Since 2007)
- Hold a Transportation Worker Identity Card
- Hold a US Coast Guard license (100 ton passenger vessel operator since 1980)
- Former US Coast Guard Auxiliarists (Ten year service award)
- Are certified to instruct by the American Sailing Association Instructor (since 1983, one of the first on the east coast)
- Have the other delivery service providers:
- Owned or restored power and sailboats?
- Completed the rigorous five day STCW Basic (Standards, Training, Certification for Watchkeeping: Maritime Professional Training, Fort Lauderdale, 2014)
- Completed an advanced degree? (Masters degree, University of MD, 19990, Journalism-Mass Communication)
MY GOAL IS EFFICIENCY WITHOUT COMPROMISING SAFETY OR PRUDENCE. Some may charge less, but it may cost you more.
- Owner-assist deliveries are conducted on a limited basis. If you wish to accompany me and partake of training or coaching, please inform me as such.
- I will provide you with a flat fee quote for crew services based on the above criteria and a range of total days, UNLESS there are days lost due to weather and mechanical breakdown beyond that range. Such days as well as travel expenses, marinas, provisions, boat expenses, fuel, etc. are additional.
- A 50% deposit for services plus a %100 deposit for anticipated travel expenses including a “float” for unanticipated costs is required well in advance. The remaining payment is due upon boarding the boat at its point of origin.
- I offer a full service package AT NO ADDITIONAL COST (and please keep this in mind when soliciting proposals); Advance planning and consultation with the owner to ensure the boat is ready; A review of the survey and a safety pre-inspection of vessel including a report to owner; A log of preparation, underway and destination activities; a post-trip report on safety, items requiring attention etc.; Regular communication via email, text or phone (when available); Creation and distribution of a float plan with emergency instructions;
- The boat must be in reasonable condition and properly outfitted for the route, season and expected conditions. That should include basic tools, fluids, additives, charts, spare parts, safety gear, cooking and cleaning supplies etc. I reserve the right to decline or terminate the voyage if the boat is not properly equipped or maintained or presents safety hazards. Additional preparation if boat is no ready or has maintenance/repair issues will be subject to additional fees.
- BEWARE OF RETIREES, HOBBYISTS OR JOY-RIDERS and HIRE A PROFESSIONAL Boat owners are advised to be wary of low bidders. As a professional I will show up when requested and complete all commitments whereas an amateur may be more interested in free travel or recreation or gaining experience at your expense. A professional boat delivery is not a pleasure cruise. Our job is to efficiently, quickly and safely move your boat from A to B.
- A DEPOSIT IS NECESSARY to schedule you on my calendar and means we are both committed. A deposit is generally not refundable except in unusual cases, and then perhaps only partially. Please understand that my season is limited and highly cyclical and that warm weather weekends are prime time. In unusual circumstances I will make every effort possible to work with the owner, reschedule or find another suitable method but it is often difficult to reschedule. Rescheduling will almost always be subjected to additional fees.
- PAYMENT may be made in check with enough advance notice, by cash, money order or through PayPal to account “Non Sea Quitter LLC” using email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include an additional fee of three percent of the net when using Paypal unless you have zero fee privileges. It is always desirable to plan and reserve well in advance and this will save you money by mailing a check. Please email me for mailing instructions.
Thank you for taking the time to read this explanation of my fees and policies. I believe it is in our mutual interest to be clear about these matters. You may find it helpful to read my articles on “How to hire a delivery captain” or “What’s it worth to you to have your boat delivered?” or What Does it Cost? on the Sea Stories page.